Monday, May 22, 2017

Kale Salads


Ever since kale started making it's early spring appearance on the Farmer's Market scene, I just can't seem to say no to bringing a big beautiful bunch of it home!

Currently, I find myself mixing up huge salads with this bounty that will last us for several days. If you're anything like me, the decision for healthy eating often depends on my ambition level/energy du jour, and some days, I just don't feel like lots of washing, chopping, and tossing! So how nice is it to come home to a ready-made powerhouse of both flavor and nutrition?

The nice thing about kale is that I think it gets even better as it sits bathed in a light dressing...softening in both texture and flavor. Something we'd never dream of with spinach or lettuce! I've had a salad last us 4 or 5 days, and still be just as delicious as mixing day.

There are so many yummy fruit and veggie combinations you could try! The key is finding long lasting compadres for your kale base. For example, I don't like to use tomatoes for my original mix (because we all know refrigerators take every bit of happiness out of a tomato), but I'll toss a few grape tomatoes in just before eating - super easy. Same with most nuts, seeds, or any fruit that looses color after being exposed to air (like apples or pears).

Best part is, for days your salad will be all set for you to use as a side dish, or you can choose to add some meat and bread to quickly turn it into an entre'!

 Here are just a few combos to get your gears turning...

Kale, blue cheese, blueberries, cucumbers, onion, salad burnet. -Adding pumpkin seeds and chicken just before eating

Kale, onion, olives, red pepper, feta, bacon. -Adding tomatoes just before eating

Kale, cucumber, strawberries, quinoa, onion, brie. -Adding cashews just before eating

I usually just use a simple dressing (either evoo/balsamic/salt and pepper or honey/stoneground mustard/water) lightly dress, and massage into the salad. Then cover tightly, refrigerate, and reap the joys of food prep for the coming week!

No comments:

Post a Comment