Monday, December 5, 2016

Birthday Wishes


My birthday was Sunday. Marked by another candle on the cake/cards/calls/texts from family and friends, and the most wonderful weekend of celebration executed to perfection by my husband.

One aspect of birthday merry-making that, while a part of my life for several years now, really gave me pause for reflection and gratitude this year, was the long line of well-wishes from my Facebook friends. So many of those (you) dear people I'm not actively in touch with anymore (the definition of a "Facebook friend" I suppose), but seeing the messages roll in from around the world - every year starting with my sweet Chemistry compadre Rachel now in Cambodia, moving through Europe and the beautiful souls I've had the pleasure of meeting there, then finally to the United States when dawn breaks on the east coast, the parade of wishes this year really seemed to trace a sort of map of my life up to this point. Bringing to mind so many happy memories, activities, trips, jobs, hobbies, and friendships as I scrolled down my wall.

Friends I've known since the day I was born, my first babysitter's son who was like a brother when I was young, dear friends from my quizzing years, fellow bunheads (ballerinas ;-)), my first youth pastor, choir friends, singing school friends, blog friends, blog friends-turned-real-life-friends, piano students, piano student's parents, stamping customers, photography clients, photography peers, fellow creatives I have collaborated with, exercise clients, our old mail lady, the guy we bought our Patty from, and of course many other friends and family of the dear and everyday variety! Each of you have been a piece that makes up the quilt of my life. And I am so grateful for you.

And even more grateful that you took a moment out of your incredibly busy Decembers (ask any December baby, we sure get the short end of the birthday stick!), to write a wish on the wall of someone you knew...maybe a very long time ago, maybe for only a few short months, maybe we've never even met in person, but your notes meant so very much - each and every one - and helped to make my birthday weekend a joy-filled celebration!

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment